Friday, July 13, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: No Complaints

(Originally published 2009, Paperback edition 438 pages)

It was only recently that I became aware of Ian Rankin and his famous Inspector Rebus book series. Apparently, fans of Inspector Rebus take a dim view of the author retiring that character and introducing a new protagonist, Malcolm Fox. Fortunately, I come to Mr. Rankin's work with fresh eyes. "The Complaints" is the first novel I've read by the Scottish author, but it certainly won't be the last. This is great stuff. The main protagonist, Malcolm Fox, as well as the other characters who inhabit "The Complaints" feel extremely real. I don't like giving away plot material while reviewing novels, so I will stick to generalities.

The Complaints Department is equivalent to what we in the United States call Internal Affairs. Investigating other suspected cops doesn't exactly make you the most popular character in any police department. This is a great premise to launch a new character. Malcolm Fox, a huge, frumpy, out-of-shape, bear of a man, is more a by-the-books kind of guy who is forced into investigating outside his comfort zone due to, at first, family obligation and then an interdepartmental request. Eventually, he falls into the crosshairs of the unknown antagonist(s). There are plenty of mysteries floating around in the story and it's darned near impossible to figure out whom Fox can trust up until the last, few pages of the book. Also, I found Fox's interactions with his sister and dad to be especially touching.

I seriously don't understand how Mr. Rankin is able to tease out such believable characters by using just words. The story is not some James Bondish sort of tale, but a highly entertaining, gritty, very human whodunit. I absolutely loved it.

(Meyers - A few years ago, I started writing, under the pseudonym Franklin the Mouse, short reviews at Amazon's web site. This is my most recent review #310)

No comments:

Post a Comment