Sunday, December 2, 2012

Dog And Pony Show

Phil and Doug Bushey and I went to see Steven Spielberg's Lincoln. The directing as well as the cinematography is excellent and Daniel Day-Lewis is unbelievably good as Abe. The theater had nearly a full audience. 
Very near the end of the film, Lincoln is walking alone down the White House hall and a black servant is looking at him. The music in the background is very low and conveying a solemn, reverential moment. "BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!... BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!... BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!..."
I thought, "Shit!" My iPhone alarm was signaling that our dog Pete needed his medication. 
"BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!... BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!..."
My phone was in my sweatshirt that was draped over my theater chair. I quickly yanked it into my lap and frantically searched in the dark for the zipped pocket.
"BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!... BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!..."
I was muttering under my breath almost in sync with the alarm, "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."
"BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!... BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!..."
It was no use. I couldn't find the zipper. I stood up, quickly shuffled by Phil and Doug and ran down the steps, ran in front of the entire viewing audience and bolted out the exit door into the lobby. A handful of minutes later when the movie finished, I returned to where Phil and Doug were sitting.
 An older couple asked me if I was okay? I explained about how I had put my phone on vibrate before entering the theater but completely forgot about the alarm for my dog's medication. Another elder couple with them at first thought it was part of the movie. The woman had said to her husband, "I didn't know Lincoln had a dog?"

No comments:

Post a Comment