Saturday, November 17, 2012

Black Friday

(ANOTHER FATHER-&-SON MOMENT WHILE DRIVING TOWARDS SCHOOL)
Zac said, "Are you okay?"
I replied, "No. My arm hurts a lot."
"Do you want me to drive?"
"Right now, that seems like a viable option to me." The radio was broadcasting a commercial promoting an upcoming Black Friday sale. I asked, "Do you know what Black Friday is?"
Zac replied, "Isn't it when a company goes into the black... their profits?"
I said, "That's right. When a company has spent more money than earned that's called 'being in the red.' If they make more money  than they spend, it's called 'being in the black.' Apparently, a lot of businesses run in the red during the year and the Christmas shopping season pushes them into the black. That's why it's called Black Friday... I think."
Zac deadpanned, "Or maybe it's a holiday where only blacks can shop."
I replied, "That makes more sense to me. You can go shopping on that day only if you're accompanied by an African-American. In fact, that's the main reason Mom and I adopted you and Jon. You know how much we love to shop."
For the record, Monique and I are Caucasian and our two sons are African-American. Also, we'd rather be slathered in honey and staked to an ant hill than go shopping on Black Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment