Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pack Up All Your Troubles

At 9:43AM, this morning, I walked up to the Staples UPS counter. The woman behind the counter asked in a neutral tone, "How are you today?"
I set my package down and replied in an equally neutral tone, "I'm doing well. Thank you. And how are you doing?"
"Good."
"Have you ever given another reply besides 'good?'"
"Ehhh... No."
"But you couldn't possibly be doing good every time someone has asked you that while working behind this counter?" 
"Ehhh... No."
"So, you've lied to customers." 
"Ehhh... (Giggle. Giggle) Yes."
"So, how do I know you're not lying to me?" 
"(Giggle. Giggle.) Well, today, I'm doing really good."
"The next time a customer comes up to your counter and asks you how you're doing, see if they're really paying attention. Say, 'My. Life. Is. A. Living. Hellllllll.'
After I left, I bet the woman took her employee break early today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment